Ketamine Infusions: The Best Migraine Treatment Chatham, NJ, Offers
Approximately 39 million people experience migraines in the United States alone. Globally, 1 billion people are affected by this condition, making it the third most common illness.
Do you struggle with migraine headaches? Have other treatments failed to provide the relief you seek? Vital IV of Chatham, NJ, can help. Ketamine shows great promise in the treatment of migraines.
One of the biggest benefits of ketamine infusions for migraines is its ability to sometimes bring relief within minutes or hours, rather than the weeks or months your typical medications may take.
What is a Migraine?
Migraines often occur on one side of the head and can cause intense headaches that involve throbbing pain or pulsing sensation that can last hours.
Some people experience warning signs that indicate a migraine may be developing, like:
- Blind spots in their vision
- Flashing lights
- Impaired speech
- Tingling in the extremities or one side of the face
- Nausea and vomiting
What Are the Different Stages of a Migraine?
Migraine symptoms occur throughout four stages – the Prodrome, Aura, Attack, and Post-drome. Each stage has its own set of symptoms that can make dealing with migraines difficult and life-disrupting.
Occasionally, warning signs will signal a migraine attack as early as a day or two ahead of time. These signs can look like this:
- Food cravings
- Neck stiffness
- Constipation or difficulty with a bowel movement
- Depression, euphoria, or other mood changes
- Increased thirst or feeling like you need to urinate
- Repeated yawning
Auras are a warning of sorts, also known as revocable indicators of the nervous system. Primarily visual, they may include other disruptions. The symptom starts gradually, builds for several minutes, and persists for 20 minutes to an hour. Here are some examples of migraine auras:
- Visual cues – seeing bright spots, shapes, flashes of light
- Temporary loss of vision
- Tingling sensations in leg or arm
- Numbness or weakness in one side of the body or the face
- Trouble speaking either words or whole sentences
- Hearing music or noises
- Unruly jerking or wild movements
The migraine attack itself lasts anywhere from four hours to three days if untreated, but the duration varies based on each person. Migraines might happen rarely or occur many times a month. With a migraine, you may experience:
- Excruciating pain on one or both sides of your head
- Ache that pulses or throbs
- Sensitivity to sound, light, sometimes touch and smell
- Sickness and vomiting
People often report feeling exhausted, bewildered, and wiped out for a whole day following a migraine attack. Abrupt head movement can cause the pain to resurface.
Why Use Ketamine to Manage Migraine Symptoms?
Traditional migraine treatments can sometimes take weeks or even months before symptom relief occurs. Ketamine is an inspiring treatment option because, in some cases, it can provide relief from migraine symptoms within days or even hours.
Ketamine for chronic pain offers fast and efficient relief from the symptoms of migraines, with up to 75% of patients reporting a positive response to just a single ketamine infusion.
How Does Ketamine Help with Migraines?
The exact mechanism that leads to ketamine treating the symptoms of migraines is still not entirely understood by research. Researchers hypothesize that it produces an antidepressant effect via targeting the NMDA receptors inside the brain. By connecting to those receptors, ketamine may amplify the number of glutamate neurotransmitters in the space between neurons.
Glutamate then interacts with the AMPA receptors. Together, these receptors bring about the discharge of multiple molecules that boost the brain’s neuroplasticity — essentially, ketamine infusions allow the brain to reset and restore meaningful nerve connections.
Is Ketamine the Answer to Your Migraines?
As the premier service provider of ketamine infusions in New Jersey, we realize your most ideal shot of pain relief is right here and our team looks forward to the opportunity to help you.
Migraines can significantly impact your professional life, as well as the people you really love most. You owe it to yourself and also to these people to discover an effective migraine treatment in Chatham, NJ.
- https://thejournalofheadacheandpain.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s10194-016-0700-3 – Intravenous ketamine for subacute treatment of refractory chronic migraine: a case series (November 2016)
- https://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/news/20160928/ketamine-may-treat-migraine-chronic-pain – Ketamine May Treat Migraine, Chronic Pain (September 2016)
- https://n.neurology.org/content/55/1/139.short – Aura in some patients with familial hemiplegic migraine can be stopped by intranasal ketamine (July 2000)