Ketamine Infusions: The Best Fibromyalgia Treatment Chatham, NJ, Offers
In the United States, fibromyalgia affects four million adults per year.
Do you struggle with chronic pain due to fibromyalgia? Have other medications failed to provide the relief you seek? Vital IV of Chatham, NJ, can help. Ketamine shows great promise in the treatment of fibromyalgia as well as CRPS and migraine headaches.
Traditional fibromyalgia treatments can take weeks or even months before symptom relief occurs, but with ketamine infusion therapy, relief is possible within days (or even hours).
What is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition noted for widespread pain and fatigue with no apparent underlying cause. Symptoms often, but not exclusively, appear after an injury or physical trauma.
What Are The Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
- Widespread pain. Many describe the pain associated with this condition to be a constant, dull ache that lasts/exceeds three months. For pain to be considered widespread, it must occur on both sides of the body, above and below the waist.
- Fatigue. Due to the effects of chronic pain, many with fibromyalgia often wake up feeling tired due to flare-ups of pain in parts of the body while sleeping.
- Cognitive difficulties. Also known as “fibro fog,” a person with fibromyalgia has trouble focusing and concentrating on mental tasks.
How Does Ketamine Help Treat Fibromyalgia?
Studies show that the leading cause of chronic pain is due to overactivity of the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor in the brain. Ketamine helps the condition by attaching to the NMDA receptor and blocking it from being activated by glutamate, a neurotransmitter, thereby helping to mute the effects of chronic pain symptoms. By connecting to those receptors, ketamine may amplify the number of glutamate neurotransmitters in the space between neurons.
Glutamate then interacts with the AMPA receptors. Together, these receptors bring about the discharge of multiple molecules that boost the brain’s neuroplasticity — essentially, ketamine infusions allow the brain to reset and restore important nerve connections.
- https://www.healthrising.org/treating-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/drugs/ketamine/ – Ketamine and Fibromyalgia: An Overview
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4014022/ – Ketamine for chronic pain: risks and benefits (February 2017)
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8675611/ – Systematic Review of the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Fibromyalgia (December 2021)